Sesame Chicken Skewers
Each Skewer: 45 calories, 7g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 2g total fat, (0g sat.) 17mg Cholesterol, 170mg of Sodium
Let’s Get Skewed!
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 large skinless boneless chicken-breast halves (1.5 pounds)
- Cilantro Sauce (See below)
- 24 ( 6 inches) bamboo skewers
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Cilantro Sprigs
Peel and mince ginger ( 4 teaspoons). Mince the green onion. In a large bowl mix ginger, green onion, and chopped cilantro. Add soy sauce, sherry, and oil. Mix well until well combined
On a cutting board, cut each chicken-breast half lengthwise into six 1/2 inch wide strips
Add chicken to mixture in a bowl and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours
Soak the skewers to keep them from burning. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds, shaking the pan, and stirring often, until golden. Remove from heat and preheat the broiler.
Thread 1 chicken strip on each skewer. Arrange on rack in broiling pan and sprinkle with half of the toasted seeds. Place pan in broiler at closest position to heat source and broil for 4 minutes.
Turn the skewers and sprinkle the remaining seeds and broil for 3 more minutes or until cooked through. Arrange on a platter and serve with cilantro sauce.
- In a blender, combine 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs,
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 jalapenos chile seeded if desired and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend until smooth and transfer to refrigerator.
Makes about 1/2 cup