This is my go-to recipe from “500 Low Carb Recipes” by Dana Carpender when I have nothing planned for a meal. It is fast easy and relatively low carb.
Yield: 3 servings, each with 19 grams of carbohydrates and 6 grams of fiber, for a total of 13 grams of usable carbs and 34 grams of protein.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound ground beef
- Peanut Oil or other bland oil for stir-frying
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups frozen crosscut green beans, thawed, or 2 cups frozen brocolli
- 1, medium onion sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 4 1/2 teaspoons sherry, and the garlic.
- Add the ground beef and, with clean hands mix the flavorings into the meat.
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil in a wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Put the walnuts in the skillet and fry for a few minutes, until crispy. Drain and put aside.
- Pour the oil and fat out of the skillet, and put a few tablespoons of fresh oil. Heat it up over high heat, and add the green beans, onion and finger. Stir-fry until the vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add the beef back to the pan, and stir everything up. Stir in the remaining soy sauce and sherry, and another clove of crushed garlic if you like.
- Serve without rice for you and on top of rice for the carb-eaters in the family. Sprinkle the toasted walnuts on top of each serving, and pass the soy sauce at the table for those who like more