A Low Carb Diet Food List
Low Carb Food Items.
Today we are going to prepare a low carb diet food list of basic ingredients that every cook should have. These are the staple food items that can be stored over time in your refrigerator or pantry and that won’t spoil.
Proficiency in the kitchen is 90% prep and 10% work. In order to prepare recipes in the shortest amount of time it is important that you have ALL your ingredients assembled and ready to go. There is nothing more irritating and time-consuming than running out to the store to purchase a missing item right in the middle of baking or cooking something.
To ensure that these recipes are prepared efficiently you will need to keep your pantry stocked with these items.
I will admit that some ingredients may sound weird or distasteful, but stay with me here and promise me, that you will try it before you denounce it.
- Black Soy Beans. These Legumes are high in fiber and low in carbs. 8 grams total Carbs.
- Canned Broth. Low sodium chicken and beef.
- Canned Coconut Milk. Buy full fat coconut milk and make sure there is no sugar added.
- Canned Pumpkin. Be sure it is unsweetened.
- Salsa:Buy a brand that does not have added sugar, beans or corn.
- Canned Tomatoes.Make sure there is no added sugar. Also, keep on hand whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, and crushed tomatoes.
- Frozen Blueberries. Great for making pancakes and muffins. (Yes! low carb muffins and pancakes.) The wild blue berries have the best flavor.
- Almond Flour and Coconut Flour. Sometimes you have to mix the two together to cut down on the heaviness of the recipe.
- Bakers Chocolate unsweetened.
- Baking Powder and Soda
- Cocoa Powder unsweetened
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dried herbs and spices.
- Black pepper,
- Chili powder,
- Ground cinnamon,
- Ground cloves, nutmeg,
- Paprika, red pepper flakes, dried Rosemary, sea salt, Tarragon, and Thyme. You probably have these items already.
- Dried Mushrooms adds flavor to broth. Porcini are the best.
Stevia and Truvia seem to be the sweeteners of choice when it comes to keeping blood sugar levels low. But be careful. 1 teaspoon of stevia is the equivalent of one cup of sugar!
- Stevia is great to use when precise measurements are not required.
- Truvia is used in baking it measures just like regular sugar.
Other Low Carb Essentials
- Vinegar. Red, White, and Rice
- Wine. Syrah, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Cabernet, Pinot Grigio
- Peanut Butter for satisfying the cravings. Make sure there is no added sugar
That’s it for the basic low carb ingredients. This list is not exhaustive and I am sure there are more items that you may need but this is list is basic enough to get you started.
We will cover the basic utensils that you should have when preparing these low carb recipes in another post.
5 thoughts on “A Low Carb Diet Food List”
Do you have any advice for picky daters like me? I want to like healthy food, but I just can’t stand the texture, or the weird flavors, or whatever. There’s always something.
Oops, I meant picky eaters! Stupid autocorrect.
I have been gradually changing my diet to a low carb one. So, thanks for this list. Very helpful. I did notice you mentioned it is not exhaustive. Would love a longer list, and one that includes Asian food too. Any chance you going to do such a list?
My website is covering all cuisines from all over the world.
For a quick tip on asian recipes, well substitute the noodles with spaghetti squash and long thin cuts of vegetables. We will cover effective substitutions for all cuisines.
Jason, thank you for commenting and visiting my site.
In my future posts I will show how to create flavorful dishes with herbs and spices.