Beef Rib Roast With Madeira Gravy
For all you meat lovers out there. This delicious fennel and parsley encrusted beef meal is for you. It is one of my personal favorite dinner recipes taken from Good House Keeping Step-by-Step Cook Book.
Each Serving: About 530 calories, 70g protein, 1g carbohydrate, 24g fat (9g sat.) 167mg Cholesterol, 320mg Sodium
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (3 rib) beef rib roast, about 7 ponds chine bone removed
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour instant bouillon
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Zucchini and carrots
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In a mortar with pestle, crush fennel seeds. Stir in pepper, salt, and parsley. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Rub fennel mixture over the roast. Place roast, fat-side up, on a rack in large roasting pan.
- Roast beef 2 hours 2o minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 140 F.
- Transfer beef to warm large platter; let stand 15 minutes for easier carving. Keep warm. Remove rack from roasting pan. Pour pan drippings into 2 cup measuring cup; let stand a few seconds, until fat separates from meat juice. Skim 2 tablespoons fat from drippings into a 2-quart saucepan.
- Prepare gravy: Add Madeira and 1/2 cup water to roasting; stir over medium heat until brown bits are loosened. Add Madeira mixture to meat juice in measuring cup with enough water to equal 2 cups; set aside. Into fat in saucepan, stir flour until blended; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden.
- Gradually stir in meat-juice mixture and bouillon; cook, stirring until gravy boils and thickens slightly. To serve, slice beef. Arrange slices on 12 plates or however, you prefer to serve and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with gravy.